Your fridge is the holy grail of your kitchen when it comes to meal-time. We mean, what other spot in your home is going to give you the ingredients for grilled cheese, ice cold root beer, and leftover pastries from grandma’s house all in one location? Spoiler: No place. If you want to keep all that food ready at your disposal, you’ll also need to keep your fridge mess-free.
How to Keep Your Fridge Mess-Free
Clean the Surface
- Use white vinegar and water to wipe down the inside and outside of your fridge.
- Top it off with some club soda so it sparkles.
- If you want your fridge to really shine, use can use a soft cloth to buff it with some car wax.
Protect Your Gasket
- Clean your gasket regularly with a damp cloth and rubbing alcohol.
- You can also use some mineral oil to prevent it from cracking or tearing.
- If it does break, get it replaced right away to avoid energy waste and other damage to your fridge.
Take Care of Sticky Situations
- If something spills in your fridge, clean it up right away to keep it from getting on other food.
- For sticky spills, sprinkle them with salt, then use an abrasive sponge and hot water to scrub the mess away. (Repeat this until the mess is gone.)
Keep Odors Out
- Prevent odors from spreading by keeping all your food in airtight containers — especially the smellier foods.
- Place a box of baking soda in your fridge to absorb odors, and replace it each month to keep it fresh.
Keep your fridge mess-free and damage-free with the help of Speedy Subzero Repairs! We offer comprehensive refrigerator repair services on Long Island and in Queens and NYC, and we always stand behind our work! For more information or to schedule a service, call us at 866-782-9376.
When you walk into your kitchen in the morning, the only noise you probably want to hear is your coffee pot brewing a fresh cup of joe. You don’t want to hear any strange noises coming from your refrigerator. However, if you do, here’s how to fix a clicking fridge.
How to Fix a Clicking Fridge
If your refrigerator is clicking, it’s most likely due to a problem with the condenser. The clicking is caused by the condenser trying to turn itself off after being overheating and then back on again after cooling off. There are a few steps you can take to remedy the problem.
- Clean Your Condenser Coils: Your condenser can easily get overheated because the coils are dirty and covered in dust. A quick fix for this is to clean them. Unplug your refrigerator, and carefully vacuum the coils using special attachments found in your local hardware store.
- Check the Start Relay: If the clicking is happening within five minutes of each or even less that that, the start relay might be at fault. You should be able to locate it on the side of your compressor. Unplug the fridge, remove the start relay, and gently shake it. If you hear rattling, you’ll need to get a replacement.
- Check the Condenser Fan: Your fan cools the condenser coils, so if it doesn’t turn when the condenser it running, that could be your problem. If that’s the case, you’ll probably need a replacement.
Whatever the problems you’re facing with your refrigerator, you can count on Speedy Subzero Repairs for help. We’ve been around since 1946 and always stand behind our work. For more information or to schedule a service, call us at 866-782-9376.
Now that school’s almost back, you’re probably trying to brainstorm ideas for snacks you can send your child to school with. If you’re looking for something a bit healthier and more creative to pack your kids than just pretzels in a bag, try out these deliciously nutritious back-to-school snacks.
Fun Back-to-School Snacks
Chocolate Banana Rolls
- You’ll Need: Bananas, Nutella, and whole wheat wraps.
- To Make: Spread the Nutella across the wrap, place the banana on the spread, and roll it. Cut the roll into slices, and it’s ready to serve.
Apple Slices with a Twist
- You’ll Need: Apples, peanut butter, oats, and dark chocolate chips.
- To Make: Core the apple, then slice it into thin, circular pieces. Spread some peanut butter on each slice, and top them with oats and dark chocolate chips.
DIY Trail Mix:
- You’ll Need:
- Nuts: Pistachios, almonds, cashews, walnuts, peanuts, and pecans.
- Dried Fruit: Blueberries, cranberries, banana chips, and cherries.
- Seeds: Sunflower, flax, pumpkin, and hemp seeds.
- Sweets: M&M’s, peanut butter chips, chocolate chips, and yogurt chips.
- Grains: Cheerios, granola, popcorn, and pretzels.
- To Make: Mix and match ingredients from each category to your preference.
Fruit Pizza Crackers
- You’ll Need: Crispbreads, strawberries, blueberries, kiwi, cream cheese, and honey.
- To Make: Add some honey to the cream cheese and spread the mix onto the crispbreads. Top with your choice of strawberries, blueberries, and kiwi.
Chocolate Covered Bananas
- You’ll Need: Dark Chocolate and bananas.
- To Make: Melt the chocolate and dip thick slices of banana into it. Refrigerate them until the chocolate is solid.
You’re going to need your refrigerator to be running in tip-top shape to store all the ingredients for these tasty treats. If you’re in need of refrigerator repairs, call Speedy SubZero Repairs for help. We offer service within the hour for homes in Nassau County, Suffolk County, and Queens seven days a week. For more information or to schedule a service, call us at 866-782-9376.
No matter how great of a model of a refrigerator you have, after a certain while, it will get to a point where it will needs repairs. But as time goes on, those repairs can become more expensive and have you questioning if they’re worth it. If you’re wondering if you should repair or replace your fridge, there are a few factors you should take into consideration.
Should You Repair or Replace Your Fridge?
- Age: If your refrigerator is younger than 10 years, you should be fine with a repair. However, once it gets past eight years, you should consider the how efficient your model has been and maybe opt for a replacement.
- Model: How your fridge is set up can affect whether or not you should repair it. For side-by-side models, you should make repairs if the unit is younger than five years. For models with the freezer below or above the fridge, repairs are fine if they’re younger than seven years.
- Energy Efficiency: Proper maintenance and small repairs can help keep your fridge running efficiently. But make sure you’re not making repairs too often.
- Age: If your fridge is over fifteen years old, you’re better off replacing it. Repairs, at that point, won’t be worth it.
- Model: Replacing certain models, such as side-by-side refrigerators, may be the better options after a certain number of years.
- Energy Efficiency: If you notice that your fridge is costing you more in energy usage, you’re better off replacing it with an Energy Star model.
If you’re in need of refrigerator or freezer repairs on Long Island or in Queens, call Speedy Subzero Repairs. We offer same-day service and even service within the hour for Long Island and Queens homes. For more information or to schedule a service, call us at 866-782-9376.
It’s Frank, your fridge, here. I hope you’re doing well — same goes for the wife and kids. I noticed little Tommy drew you another picture at school, and you hung it up on me. That’s cool…
I’m sorry, but I can’t beat around the bush any longer. I have to address a few things with you.
- Can you please fix my door gasket? That tear is making it really hard to keep the food cool, and I’m working my coils to the bone trying to do so. If you want your food to spoil and me to break down, by all means leave the gasket as is. But I would really appreciate if you fixed it, and we could avoid all of that.
- Also, would it kill you to vacuum my condenser coils once in a while? They’re so dirty, and I’m not getting even half the cool air I’m supposed to. Like that gasket, it’s making me work way harder than I should. I’m all about getting the job done, but not at the expense of my well-being.
I’ve seen you go over the utility bills and wonder why your energy portion is so high. Here’s a hint: it’s because you aren’t maintaining me that well.
Listen, this can all be solved very quickly. I know this company called Speedy Subzero Repairs that can fix the gasket and perform maintenance on me for pretty low prices. They even have coupons on their website to get $25 off the service.
Do us both a favor, and make that call.
Frank the Fridge.
For all of your refrigerator repair and maintenance needs on Long Island and in Queens, call Speedy Subzero Repairs at 888-572-6057.