We rely on our refrigerator to keep our food cool and fresh. But did you know there are some foods that you never be stored in the fridge? While keeping them there won’t harm you, it will alter their taste and texture, possibly spoiling your meal. To avoid removing the taste from your food, here are some items you should keep out of your refrigerator:
- Oils- Putting oils in the fridge will turn them into a sludgy, butter-like consistency.
- Coffee- Since coffee is known to help absorb smells in the fridge, storing your ready-to-use coffee in there will ruin your whole batch’s arabica flavor and will change the taste.
- Tomatoes-Cold temperatures wreak havoc on the texture of a tomato, making it grainy and mealy.
- Onions- Much like a tomato, and onion becomes mushy when left in the fridge for too long.
- Bananas- Cold temperatures slow down the ripening process, causing your banana to stay green for a very long time.
- Honey- Honey in the fridge will turn crystallized and dough-like, making it too hard to scoop out.
- Melon- Keep your melon chock full of antioxidants by leaving it outside of the refrigerator.
- Avocado- Much like a banana, storing an avocado in a fridge is an avocad-no! The ripening process will slow down, keeping your avocado rock hard for a long time!
- Bread- Storing bread in the fridge makes your bread go stale much quicker.
While these foods shouldn’t be left in the fridge, there are tons of others that should! If your fridge isn’t working properly, call the experts at Speedy Sub Zero! We’ve been repairing refrigerators and freezers in the tri-state area for over 75 years! No matter the make or model, our licensed technicians have the experience to get the job done, call us anytime to schedule a same-day appointment at 866-782-9376.