When it comes to home health hazards, we’re sure you’ve heard of lead poisoning, mold poisoning, and carbon monoxide poisoning. But have you ever heard of refrigerant poisoning? This lesser-known hazard can cause some major damage to your health if you don’t know the causes and warning signs, so it’s best to educate and protect yourself sooner rather than later.
What is refrigerant poisoning?
In short, refrigerant poisoning occurs when a person is exposed to the chemicals used to cool appliances such as your refrigerator. One of the harmful chemicals in refrigerant is Freon, a tasteless, odorless gas that can cut off oxygen to your cells and lungs.
What are the symptoms of refrigerant poisoning?
In mild to moderate cases of exposure, you may experience:
- Eyes, ears, and throat irritation
- Frostbite — if exposed to liquid Freon
- Chemical burns to skin
If you’ve been severely exposed to refrigerant and the chemicals in it, you may experience:
- Fluid buildup or bleeding in your lungs
- Vomiting blood
- Decreased mental state
- Burning sensations in your esophagus
If you experience any of the listed symptoms, immediately call the National Poison Control Hotline at 1-800-222-1222.
How to Avoid Refrigerant Poisoning?
If you’re going to be working on appliances that contain refrigerant, always make sure to cover your skin and wear long clothing. However, unless you’re a trained technician, you shouldn’t be handling those areas of your appliances. For your safety, leave any fridge and freezer repairs to the professionals.
At Speedy Subzero Repairs, we are fully trained and licensed to understand the safety precautions necessary to deal with refrigerant-using appliances. If you’re in need of refrigerator or freezer repairs on Long Island or in Queens or NYC, don’t risk your health by making it a DIY-job. Give us a call instead at 866-782-9376.